Skip to main content

Rules of the Road Renegade: A Story of Crime and Consequence

They say that there is "truth behind every lie". Which is true, for the most part- but some lies less so contain just a few nuggets of revealing fact, and instead actually can come to be the truth. Eventually. Maybe you could describe certain lies as being prophecies of real life. Or maybe the best thing to call these lies are predictions- which, of course, are often very wrong.

I remember thinking about writing lies about myself a few months ago, during my first Creative Writing class of the year. We were instructed to do a variation of the classic game "two facts and a fib"; where we instead were to write either two truths and a lie or two lies and a truth, and have people guess which were facts and which were fibs. I wrote the following list:

1.    The shoes I'm currently wearing cost only $20. 
2.    The only concert I've ever attended was a Weird Al Yankovic concert.
3.    I once got a speeding ticket while driving down Windsor Road.

Yeah, it's pretty tricky, isn't it? I would sure hope so. But the only fib about me was number three, so if you got that correct, congratulations. You get a cookie. And yes, back when I was in elementary school I was obsessed with Weird Al, if you know who he is. If you don't, I would suggest you don't spend time checking him out.

With that thrilling tidbit of backstory set in order, we begin my story on one Saturday night, where the winds were blustery and the moon luminous. I was driving to a friend's house for some good clean fun, which would surely last until sunrise as I was intending to stay the night. I was rapidly weaving through a congestion of cars with my windows down, warm gusts of air blasting onto my face. My music blared and my engine roared as I sped off ahead of every other car on the road.

Why was I speeding? Mainly because my other friends were already there, and being human, I didn't want to feel excluded in any way. But also for the joy of going at a high speed, especially on such a perfect night- I was in a good move and filled with youthful enthusiasm, after all. Also, I knew the cops would never be hovering around roads on the watch for lawbreakers this late at night, as it was about 10:45.

I was only a minute or two away from my turn, when one of the pitifully snail-like cars I zoomed past was starting to catch up. I was not worried in the slightest, until I saw them in my rear view mirror, following me onto Cherry Hills Drive. I was still relatively calm, until two things happened all at once: the previously unidentified car turning their police lights on, and my friend calling me. The scariest part was that I had my volume of my radio extremely high, and as my phone was connected to the aux, my ringtone started blasting out the stereo.

I hurriedly slapped the radio off as to turn off the noise, and slowed down greatly. I still wasn't sure if the police car was after me yet, as they were yet to turn on any sirens. I remember the rapid switch from my ear-piercing music to utter silence, when I was anxiously waiting for a siren of any sort. After about 10 or 15 seconds, I heard the sirens briefly beep, and I knew.

I pulled over, and the police car did the same. I heard a car door closed with force, and I rolled my window down. A robust, tall policeman of likely around 35 years of age, sternly asked "license and insurance, please". My voice slightly wavered as I stated "here you go, sir" as I handed both to him. He told me to wait as he paced back to his car. I used this anxiety-riddled pause to text my impatient friend to shut up and to not text me until I made it there.

After a few minutes of impatiently waiting in the car, I eventually heard a very authoritative voice gruffly yell "you may now come out of the vehicle". I immediately thought that the voice didn't match the officer who had asked for my license, and was proven correct when I saw a second cop now standing, arms crossed, behind my Mustang.

This shorter, but stouter man angrily questioned me about if I knew how fast I was going, and if I knew curfew, and why I didn't stop immediately. I kept my answers as short as possible, always ending with a "sir". During this bone-chilling interrogation, I remember nervously fiddling with the toothbrush in my pocket. Unfortunately, he noticed, and demanded to know what it was- to which I mumbled in reply, "sorry, it's just my toothbrush, officer". But I could tell he was still suspicious; which become even more apparent when he threatened to "bring out the hounds". I told him that it was not necessary, and luckily he believed me enough to stop asking questions.

I thought I might have made it off scot-free, until the first officer also came out of their car. I realized he was carrying a few text-heavy sheets of paper, which were surely a ticket. After a few more uncomfortable minutes of the shorter officer relentlessly repeating if everything was "crystal clear" (no joke, he said it at least 5 or 6 times), they told me I was free to go. I gloomily trudged back to my car, where once I was inside, I read the ticket. It was for no less than 120 bucks, and it listed me as going about 60 in a 35 zone.

Once I had made it to my friend's house, I told them what happened, even though they had already guessed, due to the long delay and the frantic tone of the text I sent. I told them I had to call my mom first, so thankfully they went downstairs while I had the most frightening phone call of my life. Luckily, I had been watering the plants of various people's over the summer, meaning I could tell my mom I would pay her back in the morning. Though the next day I was chewed out, for the most part I have avoided significant punishment. I still have my guard up though, just in case they try to spring something on me.

Luckily, my friends didn't really tease me or try to console me, so we were able to move on to more fun topics fairly quickly. I guess I don't really regret the ticket now, but I sure was horrified when it first happened. Thankfully, this then-terrifying experience has humbled me as a driver, luckily before my reckless ways either got me in an accident or in much worse punishment. The fib in Creative Writing, which I initially thought was clever, turned out to somehow be an exact prediction- maybe I just knew I had the ticket a long time coming. Which is why I now always drive legally. Mostly.

-HD


P.S. Drive safe. Stay safe. Don't be a chowderhead like me.

Comments

  1. Honestly, I truly love your blog. As the title claims, you are a narcissist--but a self-aware one. Life, no matter how hard we try to stave against it, gets really crappy really fast. So too, do cops when we do almost double the speed limit. By that same token, life also gives second chances. When you're speeding, you get pulled over, pay a small fine, work to be better. When you're nearing egocentric levels of your personality, you write a blog, confess your guilt, hope that the jury of public opinion pressures you into being better. Henry, you are a narcissist, but not a bad person, your blog's introspection shows this. I look forward to reading your next realizations in the future. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this happening, as I was one of the friends waiting for you. We were really worried and wondered if something bad happened to you (which was sorta true). However, I am glad that we were still able to have a fun evening. To be fair, you did always have the habit of driving a bit crazy. However, thank you for showing us all and teaching us a valuable lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, I've very much enjoyed your blog post. The whole story of how your lie in the beginning of the year turned out to be true, how your subconscious had turned out to be right when you thought about what would be the most realistic lie about yourself, became a lesson of self-reflection on your driving habits, the narrative voice and reflective tone made it extremely entertaining to read.
    But as someone who's been in a fairly serious car crash before, I would definitely urge to drive safely, and always wear your seat belt!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way you've narrated your story was impeccably done. I felt nervous for you as I read about your encounter with the cops. Overall, it was a really enjoyable read. I think the moral you've carved out is a good one, especially since most of us are pretty new drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a thrilling story! Great job narrating your emotions as well as keeping the suspense going all throughout. I loved the detail about the toothbrush; you pointed out a weird detail during a tense situation, which was really humorous to me. I also liked that you came full circle in the end, going back to your prediction from your creative writing assignment. I think it's a really cool way to nicely wrap up your story. Keep up this quality writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Story, it must have been a terrifying experience getting caught while speeding for the first time. I really liked how you described the cops, especially when the second cop came into the picture. I also thought it was interesting how the officer was tempted to bring out the hounds as if you were a drug dealer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's quite the unfortunate coincidence Henry. I loved the way you told your story- it was very easy to visualize everything. Your descriptions of the officers, your voice, the setting- all of it was perfect.
    I also like how this post, like all your others, ends with a good moral lesson that's backed up fully by the story. Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Claim to Fame (which I wish never happened)

We've all had those days. Or maybe just those moments, because sometimes they're really short. Or they can be long, too. You know, that time of your life which just sucks. Whether you've had a panic attack, or you're stressed about everything, or you feel you have no real friends. Or maybe you just really hate school. Sometimes all you want in life is to just run away. Away from all the stress, away from the anxiety, away from everyone who you hate. Sometimes I wonder how much easier life would be if I ran away. Maybe I could became a fisherman who lived in nameless, yet peaceful obscurity. Anyways, whenever I started to wilt under the constant social and academic pressures which came with school, I started direct messaging (over Instagram) a celebrity about every detail of my slightly interesting life. The celebrity I ended up choosing would be Kevin Durant. Unless you hate sports, you probably know who he is. For those who live under a rock, and don't, he's

Why I Idolize the People I Should Hate

Today in Nonfiction Writing, Michael and I were debating about Kanye West- a person I've idolized. We verbally-sparred with such fervor throughout the period that Dr. Majerus had to step in to make me shut up about how Kanye was the G.O.A.T. One of Michael's many pitiful arguments was that Kanye was a terrible person. My first impulse was to retort "but that's why I love him!" because truthfully, Kanye's flaws are a huge part of what makes him so enticing to me. When people point out Kanye's controversies- the 2009 VMA's, his support for Trump, declaring that "slavery was a choice"- many Kanye stans immediate response is to argue that we should "separate the art from the artist" which is something I don't believe in. I actually like it more whenever my musicians are total jackasses. It expands beyond music, too. If you were a #loyalreader of my blog, you would know Kevin Durant is one of my favorite basketball players. The

Subbie Year: What I miss most and least about our first year at Uni

My last few blog posts have been stories about my experiences. Unfortunately, most of my other vaguely interesting stories aren't exactly blog material- whether the story is too short, too incriminating or even just plain old R-rated. Which is why I am unfortunately departing from talking about my individual life and instead widening up the audience who can relate- to all of you! Amazing, I know. Except for transfers, of course. But if you are  actually a transfer, at least you finally get to picture everyone's favorite year. Something I don't miss: Being prepubescent. I'm not claiming to be a full-grown man complete with beard, but at least I look nothing like the me from 3 years ago. I was short, had awful hair, and mediocre dress sense. If you knew me then, then you know. If not, then peep my Instagram (leave a few likes, too). But worst of all was my voice- it was so high-pitched that I'm amazed anyone besides dogs could understand me. Luckily, by the end of