Skip to main content

My Biggest Claim to Fame (which I wish never happened)

We've all had those days. Or maybe just those moments, because sometimes they're really short. Or they can be long, too. You know, that time of your life which just sucks. Whether you've had a panic attack, or you're stressed about everything, or you feel you have no real friends. Or maybe you just really hate school. Sometimes all you want in life is to just run away. Away from all the stress, away from the anxiety, away from everyone who you hate. Sometimes I wonder how much easier life would be if I ran away. Maybe I could became a fisherman who lived in nameless, yet peaceful obscurity.

Anyways, whenever I started to wilt under the constant social and academic pressures which came with school, I started direct messaging (over Instagram) a celebrity about every detail of my slightly interesting life. The celebrity I ended up choosing would be Kevin Durant. Unless you hate sports, you probably know who he is. For those who live under a rock, and don't, he's one of the world's best basketball players, like top 2 or 3 in the world- yeah, he's really fricking good. He also happens to be one of the most hated NBA players of all time, due to his various actions over the last few years. Which, of course, is why I gravitated towards him. Who better to talk to than the most controversial superstar to ever set foot in the National Basketball Association?

I did it for about half a year, from around midway through first semester sophomore year until near the end. What was great was, I was completely truthful- he received thousands of "dm's" (direct messages); so why would I worry about him reading mine? But yet, it was less lonely (or loser-y) than keeping a journal or diary- it was like writing down all my thoughts, except it felt like I was truly talking to someone- just someone who conveniently likely wouldn't ever judge me for whatever brash thing I texted him. Also, I could tell him anything- unlike the SSO, for example.

Truthfully, this was a very good system for me. Whatever I was thinking for the day, good or bad, I would just vent in a message to him- "Hey KD, I'm gonna fail all my classes", or "KD, I have girl problems." As he never replied, or even saw my messages, he just made a really great listener. Anyways, on June 29, 2018, I was having a really long week. The worst part was that Friday night, where for some reason I just did not feel like sleeping. Eventually, after typing Durant a bunch messages in just a few hours, I finally drifted off into peaceful sleep at around 1:30 in the night.

I sluggishly start my morning each day by checking my phone; this morning was different- shockingly, I saw a reply. From the Kevin Durant. Finally. An NBA superstar, with 10 million followers, with his own signature shoe-line to boast. I 100% honestly just screamed in unbelieving joy. But it took about 10 seconds of my initial adrenaline rush to fade, which is when I actually read his message. It read "Yooooo, u good?" with a few laughing emojis. It was honestly pretty disappointing. I was hoping that somehow, he'd be so astonished by my commitment that he would send me an autographed jersey.

Unfortunately, he never did (shocking, I know). I did end up messaging him a few more times though, but he left me on "seen" each time. Which is why I started messaging Chance the Rapper now. My end goal there is that hopefully he'll eventually give me free concert tickets. So, I guess my moral of the story would be: "Don't keep a journal by messaging a famous basketball player everyday, especially a celebrity who's known for being, well, kind of a huge ****, because then he either will never reply, or when he finally does it will be overwhelmingly disappointing." Seriously, don't!

-HD

Comments

  1. Everyone has trouble with their lives around Highschool, after all, it is a time of self discovery. Highschool can be the best 4 years of your life, but everyone will also have trouble for sometime during those 4 years. Your way of dealing with your troubles by DMing Kevin Durant is something I find strange but cool. It's even cooler that he replied. I have never DM'd any celebrity before and don't plan to in the future, but you do you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is actually really cool. DM'ing a celebrity and getting a reply! Keep direct messaging celebrities and let me know when you get those concert tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such an interesting thing to do. I never would have even considered messaging a celebrity as a way to vent, but I see where you're coming from--it's kind of like a diary but there's this shred of exciting hope that someone will see and care.

    ReplyDelete

  4. I really like how you opened up in this post. You made yourself pretty relatable, all the while keeping a conversational tone and staying an appropriate distance from being egotistical. It's quite remarkable that you got a response and I hope you get free tickets from Chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This post was such an emotional roller coaster ride! Everything about this post was fantastic. The reflective tone, the vulnerability, the humor, it made me relate to you on a deeper level. We all struggle through hard times and find our own ways to cope as you say in your blog post, but thank you for sharing your unique experience and way to cope with us. (P.S. I could totally see this as some plot for a coming-of-age movie, it would be pretty awesome)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! Sometimes it can really help to write your thoughts down when you're overwhelmed, and journals feel too formal. I can see how you'd think it would be embarrassing to get the response you did from Kevin Durant, but I think it's amazing he wrote back at all. Let us know when you get those concert tickets from Chance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. If you keep a journal/ diary I don't think it's lame, actually I'm envious. What I meant was it felt you like you were talking to someone. Like having a real conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a very funny story, Henry. I'm glad you don't think keeping a journal is lame. Maybe consider keeping a private online journal. You could address all your posts to Chance the Rapper or whoever else makes you feel like you can unburden yourself.

    I enjoy your blog title.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could definitely read this in your voice. I like how honest you come through in your writing. Too bad you didn't get a signed jersey from KD, but keep me in mind when you get free concert tickets from Chance the rapper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i liked this, writing to a person as a form of a journal is something I've never thought of as a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Henry,

    This may be one of the single greatest blog posts I have ever seen. I think DMing KD was a great idea. Not only did you get some of your ups and downs on paper, but having him respond will give you some MASSIVE "clout" once you get into college. Make sure you keep screenshots of it. Hopefully you get a response from Chance back too!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Idolize the People I Should Hate

Today in Nonfiction Writing, Michael and I were debating about Kanye West- a person I've idolized. We verbally-sparred with such fervor throughout the period that Dr. Majerus had to step in to make me shut up about how Kanye was the G.O.A.T. One of Michael's many pitiful arguments was that Kanye was a terrible person. My first impulse was to retort "but that's why I love him!" because truthfully, Kanye's flaws are a huge part of what makes him so enticing to me. When people point out Kanye's controversies- the 2009 VMA's, his support for Trump, declaring that "slavery was a choice"- many Kanye stans immediate response is to argue that we should "separate the art from the artist" which is something I don't believe in. I actually like it more whenever my musicians are total jackasses. It expands beyond music, too. If you were a #loyalreader of my blog, you would know Kevin Durant is one of my favorite basketball players. The

Subbie Year: What I miss most and least about our first year at Uni

My last few blog posts have been stories about my experiences. Unfortunately, most of my other vaguely interesting stories aren't exactly blog material- whether the story is too short, too incriminating or even just plain old R-rated. Which is why I am unfortunately departing from talking about my individual life and instead widening up the audience who can relate- to all of you! Amazing, I know. Except for transfers, of course. But if you are  actually a transfer, at least you finally get to picture everyone's favorite year. Something I don't miss: Being prepubescent. I'm not claiming to be a full-grown man complete with beard, but at least I look nothing like the me from 3 years ago. I was short, had awful hair, and mediocre dress sense. If you knew me then, then you know. If not, then peep my Instagram (leave a few likes, too). But worst of all was my voice- it was so high-pitched that I'm amazed anyone besides dogs could understand me. Luckily, by the end of